Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Current Events - 6th Six Weeks

Due by Thursday May 7, 2009



Directions: In 150-200 words, respond to the following news articles:

Article #1
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-college29-2009apr29,0,1296881.story

Article #2
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-pastors-marijuana-29-apr29,0,5170737.story

Article #3
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/15/news/companies/united_airlines_obese.reut/

Article #4
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/todaysbuzz/wednesday/sfl-religious-license-plates-buzz-james-m042909,0,6788483.htmlstory

Article #5
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30437468/

Directions, cont: Your response must indicate that you have a full understanding of the article while giving a synthesis (or an opinion with facts from the article that support that opinion) . Summarizing this article is strictly prohibited.

To Respond: You should scroll to the bottom of this posting and click on the link that says "O COMMENTS." Afterwards, type your response in the space provided on the right. Remember to put your first initial, last name and period in the "NAME/URL" field so that you receive credit for the assignment. Then make sure you click "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT"

Note: You will not be able to immediately see your post published because I must approve them individually.

Grading: Refer to the original assignment sheet for the grading rubric.

Best of luck,
Ms. Hill

54 comments:

Q. Powell 5th period said...

Some colleges checking out applicants’ social networking posts

I found this article very easy to respond to because it relates to my future. The reason that I say that is because I want to get accepted into college the right way. I don’t want to get rejected because of a petty myspace profile or any social page. I would rather may sure my background is college worthy. I also agree that colleges should check out applicants’ social background because they want to know whom they are letting into their school. They may not want any negative-minded people into the college. The reason why I say that is because college should full with good people that are really serious about their education. I feel that applicants’ should conduct their social life in a good manner if they want to be known as college material. Like some people say “If you want to be something, act like you want to be something.” I don’t think colleges are wrong for this matter. I think they just want to know what they’re getting into before they get into it. I oppose college colleges for doing that.

Q. Powell 5th period said...

Some colleges checking out applicants’ social networking posts

I found this article very easy to respond to because it relates to my future. The reason that I say that is because I want to get accepted into college the right way. I don’t want to get rejected because of a petty myspace profile or any social page. I would rather may sure my background is college worthy. I also agree that colleges should check out applicants’ social background because they want to know whom they are letting into their school. They may not want any negative-minded people into the college. The reason why I say that is because college should full with good people that are really serious about their education. I feel that applicants’ should conduct their social life in a good manner if they want to be known as college material. Like some people say “If you want to be something, act like you want to be something.” I don’t think colleges are wrong for this matter. I think they just want to know what they’re getting into before they get into it. I oppose college colleges for doing that.

Q. Powell 5th period said...

Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use.

This article was somewhat agreeable and disagreeable. The reason why is because I feel that people should get cure, but it has to be a legal medication. I don’t think that I could get use to people using an illegal drug to heal their sickness. I think that there could be other possible cures besides marijuana. I also don’t think that this drug can be 100 percent effective. It may make people illness worse. On the other hand it could be a strong enough drug to cure some people’s sickness. It could be the only other possible drug to do that. People’s body reacts in many different ways. Their body may not be used to a certain type of drug. That’s why I found this article somewhat confusing to write about. There is a positive and a negative side to this topic. I don't know the consequences in this bill being passed.

Anonymous said...

Article #1
My opinion about colleges checking out applicants’ social networking post is that they shouldn’t be doing that because that’s not there business to be looking up somebody background on MySpace or face book. Sites, activities, and other varies things doesn’t shows how a person act just because they write some crazy stuff down. If college’s starts looking up everybody’s MySpace and face book colleges will have less students attending there school because they say that other people are looking that specific person up and then if there record or background is bad they will send it to some colleges, and it will go from there. When Nora Gamin was a student in high school and she was trying to get into college she couldn’t get in because of all her information she was putting on MySpace and face book so next day she went up there to University of Massachusetts Dartmouth they told her that she wasn’t going to get excepted because of all of her information she was putting on MySpace like about a beer keg and wearing a lampshade. I say what these colleges are doing today isn’t wrong I think its right for them to do it because when people like us want to go to college, and make it in life we will think twice on putting our business on MySpace and other sites.


Article #2
The religious leaders are asking Illinois lawmakers can they legalize marijuana I really don’t know were to start there are a lot of things I can say about this article. I don’t have a clue why would some religious people be asking some lawmakers to legalize it just by them asking that still isn’t going to make them legalize it because you have to think about it if you do that, that means everybody that smoke marijuana is going to be looking for there share in this because everybody that get sick or some and they get there marijuana in they’re medicine bottle they is going to be look for there’s so everybody just have to stop and think about this. Then again once they sign the papers to legalize it and everybody hears it on television people are going to be having there own marijuana store’s, and other objects you use for marijuana. My opinion, is don’t do this because this will mess up everybody lives from 5 year old kids and up, our world would be very different if everybody started smoking in this world. Then they say that they are going to legalize the plants and have law enforcements to look at every plant so they can make sure what they are looking at. I just say keep everything like it is and don’t change nothing because that’s what people are waiting for anyway for the lawmakers to legalize marijuana so they can get high everyday, and once that happens everyday they sooner or later are going to start getting crazy and killing people.

Article #3
In my opinion, I think that’s not right for people that are obese have to pay for two seats just because they are obese. I think just because they can’t wear seat belts and have to share a seat with somebody else doesn’t mean you make them pay for an extra seat that’s going to be sitting there empty. Obese people are regular people they just have a problem with them that’s all. People now-a-days doesn’t like share nothing, and the funny thing about it that its not really theirs to start from it, but don’t get me wrong they pay for the airplane ride and all but when it all comes down to it the seats and all still aren’t theirs. If regular passengers aren’t letting obese people ride on the side of them that means that they are making them pay a extra 100$ for no reason just because you didn’t wont them to ride on the side of you. Passengers now been saying that they have been complaining about that the seat belts are to low on their stomachs I guess it’s hurting them so they have been complaining about that. Now I see were the passengers are coming from now because basically they are saying they that the person beside them are too big and they are taking all of their space and their comfort area. If you ask me I say that’s the obese person fault because they should have been watching what they eat and stuff because I hear it every time on television that they are to depress so they just eat till they can’t eat anymore I don’t believe that cause anybody can look down at what they are eating and if they are eating to much they can stop their self from eating it all they have to do is watch what they eat and excersie daily and not once a month or week.

Article #4
To me that passage was just talking about certain people having different named license, but really it doesn’t make since to me because why would you have license for everything like for having a pet, and having a favorite team sport. Then, now they are trying to now get license for being religious. I didn’t know Florida is like this that you have to get license for everything and they are still trying to make new license for newer things. They have it were you have a Jesus card, and I guess you just can go around almost anywhere with this card, but the anti-Christians aren’t going to like it if they see the card. Anti-Christians will go crazy if they saw that and saw some Christians just walking around somewhere. I say they need to stop making all of these license for everything cause sooner or later its going to get real bad to where they going to have license for you to eat. The government doesn’t understand what they are doing to our community but I guess they want to keep doing things like this to us then it’s probably going to get worse, and then Memphis going to start having license for everything. Some of this stuff is very weird because say if like somebody had a marlins license and somebody was in behind me they would have to change to the marlins as being a fan towards them because I have the right way cause im in front of them and that’s just how it goes. They just need to make sure the government stays in check with everything else, so they won’t mess anything else up. I know people in Florida don’t like all this license stuff because it doesn’t feel right.

Article #5
Basically what this article is talking about is racial disparities and jobs, and hard paying jobs. The whites does everybody so wrong though especially the blacks they don’t wont to see blacks succeed just because of what half of us blacks be doing in this world. I also understand were they was coming from when they were talking about the minorities they don’t get to do anything really cause when the white people get on them they isn’t going to say anything else. That’s why whites don’t be having problems out of the minorities because they never say anything if there is said to them that are bad. If the white people weren’t owning so many businesses the minorities would be able to get better paying jobs and be able to provide for there own families. Now-a-days it’s hard because the whites don’t won’t to see nobody succeed but them and that’s it. I don’t see how the minorities are the first to get hired and then be the first to get fired that doesn’t make any since to me I think the white people just make a big deal something that’s not anything and then they just fire them on the spot. I say that’s not fair because they just treating them like they are a toy or something once you get a job you should have it for a while not at less you are doing some bad you don’t have no business. This was a real good passage to write back on because this teaches us what’s going on in America and how we can change all of our problems and other things. Everybody should have each other back because you will never know who will be your boss in life so you should treat everybody with some respect. In conclusion, the way I know I can change this Is going to some of these white people and just settle the problem like a man and just tell them how stupid they are acting.

princess Stephens2nd said...

Article#1
This article is about some college checking out applicant social networking post. Base on this

article high school students that are trying to get in college should not put anything of the

internet, my space page, and others if you do not want your mom or father to see. It is don’t good

to have things that dealing with you and or boyfriend on there if you are trying to get in college.

Say you might put in a application for TSU and they might decide to toss it out because you

wrote something about your boyfriend. David Hawkins, director said, “Don’t post anything that

you don’t want your mother or father or college admission officer to see”. So I feel if you are

going to try to get in a college do it the write because everyone might not get the chance you get.

As you can see do what’s right so you can get in college and make you dream true.

Article#2

This article talks about Medical marijuana. The issue in this article is about treating illegal drug

use as a public health issue instead of crime. They more than 60 religious leaders in Illinois are

calling on the state senators because medical marijuana with a doctor recommendation and

without criminal consequences. Medical marijuana is an issue of mercy and compassion. When

people use marijuana they start to look like they been though a lot. Public health to give registry

identification card. On today in the USA many of our people need help because the marijuana is

killing them and its not good. Everyday somebody gets killed. This issue is calling unhealthy.

After wild your body try to give you a sign says its time to stop. As you can see marijuana is

not good for anyone at all .

Aritcle#3

This article is about United Airline to charge obsessing people double. This article is saying

Corp will require obese passengers bumped from full flights to purchase. They have something

about defined as unable to lower the arm to rest and buckle a seat belt with one extension. I fine

this article not very interesting because it is not something that I really don’t care to know about.

This article needs to have more information about what they are trying to tell the reading. So I

feel I don’t have enough information to keep writing about this article.

Aritcle#4

This article is about censorship at the root of religious license plate debate. The issue in this is

that In Florida you can about wear anything on your license plate but you can not celebrates your

religion. They say because the plates would compromise the separation of church and state.

These people who push for freedom of expression in every other arena, this issue can calls

violence. In America is a country with regions diversity. In many countries they have their own

rule about different things. America you can wear about anything you want on your license plate

because everybody is different people and have different background. I think it should not be a

problem about what anyone want to put on their plate because it is them.

Aritcle#5

This article talks about racial disparities persist in higher-paying jobs. Blacks and Hispanics has

some of largest rate in about decade as employment opportunities. The issue is the pay rate. The

lesson of most economic downturns is minorities are the last hired. The biggest disparity

between professional blacks and whites since the 77 percent rate in 2001.

Anonymous said...

Quintessa R. Powell
May 6, 2009
5th period
English III
Article # 3


United Airlines to charge obese
people doulbe

This article is somewhat difficult to respond to. The reason why is because it’s dealing with peoples weight. There is a positive and negative side to this article. I say that because some people may feel offended and some people may feel that it’s a good idea to charge obese people an amount of money for two tickets. Personally, I would take both sides. The reason why is because I wouldn’t want to be involved in a plane crash as well as pay extra money than people not of my size. I would feel kind of bad if someone told me that I had to pay the cost of two tickets to get on a plane when I’m only one person. I would also feel safe knowing that no extra weight would cause the plane that I ‘m getting on to crash. If I were an obese person, I would consider my life, as well as others’ life and pay the asked amount for a ticket. I wouldn’t want to be the cause of any type of accident on a plane. I also feel that people who make airplanes should build strong enough planes to carry any unexpected weight. It would really keep down confusion between money and weight.

Anonymous said...

Quintessa R. Powell
May 6,2009
5th period
English III
Article # 4

Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

I found this article very easy to respond to. The reason why is because it talks about religion and I’m a very religious person. I think that it’s a good idea to display religion outside of church. It doesn’t matter what religion it is to me. I think that they all should be displayed because most people take religion seriously. Not only is religion important, but it could be very creative in this matter. I would love to display my religion on a license plate. I would make me feel good to do that. It may inspire other religious drivers to display theirs as well. I also think that it would bring respect to the streets and cars of other drivers. That could really help stop some of the accidents that happen everyday. I wouldn’t say that it’s mandatory to display religion on a license plate, but I do think that it’s a great idea to do so. When I began to driving, I may consider this idea and get it done for myself. It may make a difference wherever I may go. That’s why I might get a religious license plate made for my car when I get one.

R.Aldridge said...

Article #1

This article should be a wake-up call to each and every future college enroller that is networking their social life on the internet. The way things are being set up in the world, you have to take precautions on what you do in the public society. The world is being set-up for you to fail anyway so why would you want to go to college looking for relationships and fun. The way I feel, you shouldn’t be thinking about just partying in school. It’s already hard enough to get into a top-notch school. I mean look at it in a way like this: school tuition is going up so why would you go to college playing around, especially if you’re on a full scholarship. College isn’t supposed to be fun for anyone because you’re going to take care of business and to represent what you’ve learned over the course of your younger life. So I say yes, college admissions should look into people whom are interested in enrolling for their college only to eliminate the ones who are serious about coming for the educational purposes only.

Article #2

This substantial drug formally known as, marijuana, should be used only if subscribed by the patients doctor. It wouldn’t be fair to the rest of the people who abuse the drug either so this would create a problem. See if you have people that are prescribed to use marijuana; however, know people who use them even though they don’t need them, you’d create a problem in the distribution. This is a popular drug known around the world now. If allowing patients to do drug in order to heal them is a good symptom well I say let them be healed. Several studies suggest that marijuana can mitigate nausea, pain and anxiety for patients with illnesses such as HIV, cancer, multiple sclerosis and chronic pain. Whatever heals the patients from illness or preventing it would be great for them. How can you not approve this of being legal, when you’re using it in a positive way?

Article #3

This article is an outrage! I disagree with this completely. How can you charge people for another seat just because of their weight, that's not their fault. Some people was born with a lot of meat on their bones. These particular airlines, Continental (CAL, Fortune 500), Delta (DAL, Fortune 500), Jet Blue (JBLU) and Southwest, United (UAUA, Fortune 500), should be ashamed of their self for making them pay double and its not even for sure that your going to get a seat because if its not enough room they'll charge you for taking up two extra seats. I guess when you have big airlines that cost money to fly over the world like they have, you have to pay the cost. If I were in this situation, I'd just take a protest on it with a couple of the people that feels airlines shouldn't do people whom are big enough to take up two seats pay for both of them. The world is all about making a dollar out anything its ridiculous how some smaller people agree to these actions.WHY?If you believe that this should continue going on in the world then hey be my guest and keep living, but if your a victim or a future flight attender that has paid for two seats for one person.You have to stand up for yourself.

Article #4

What difference does it make on how you represent your religion? Everyone doesn't have a problem when it comes down to putting your college, organization, or etc. on their license plate. Why? Because it shows what kind of person you are without even seeing the person. Some people wants to represent our God on the car to let other formally drivers know that the person in front of you loves their God. Everyone has their on religious beliefs so whats the big deal? I can say for myself that everybody has their own beliefs in certain gods and by you putting the person you worship on your plate the people around us want to make it illegal to express the compassion with your believing. If that's the case, why not just make all of the license plate covers illegal to the state? You can't stop anyone from putting anything on the car that they pay the note to. We should protest against the state's actions towards this.

Article #5

I believe these numbers are right without a doubt in my mind because African Americans are nothing but lazy. I can actually see why the Hispanics numbers are rapidly growing, for they have found a way to out smart the world instead of being against the world. The way we fight each other, and the way they stick together is amazing to see. Its unbelievable how we all have become so competitive in the world of jobs. We should all just get off our tails and get our head in these books because the world really isn't a joke no more. Its actually a game, because everyone is set-up for failure. The only way you can change the way we're criticized is to make a change in the amount numbers. The jobs are getting scarce and we want to drop out of school or end everything in our life with a measly ole diploma. A diploma is nothing but a certificate stating you did eighteen years in the schooling system. After that, you want walk around like every things over and done with. You should want whats best out of yourself anyway and not to sit at home depending on your mother all the time like you did throughout school. The least you can do is further your education to one or more years at college, or try to go to college so you can make a difference in these numbers of African Americans. I mean don't get me wrong because I'm not saying college is for everyone, but you should at least try it out and see for yourself.

f.anderson 2nd period said...

Article 1 Response

This article is very interesting. It also informed me on information that I didn’t already know. This article explains how certain colleges are snooping on websites such as myspace and facebook to scope out their applicants. Although I don’t think snooping around is necessary to pick your college applicants, it’s also a good idea because they want to know exactly who is going to their college. In my opinion people shouldn’t post things that they wouldn’t want college professors to see. As the article explains this indicates that some schools admissions or scholarships decisions are tremendously being influenced. The schools that are snooping on their applicants are not being identified so if I was applying for a college I would be extra careful. I would also make sure that my myspace and/or facebook page was secure and had only positive information. Myspace is a good way to learn and get to know someone which is the reason some colleges are checking the site out. I don’t necessarily agree with snooping to check out someone’s myspace, but it is a good idea. If I was in charge of accepting students into my college I would probably want to check out their myspace or facebook pages because I would want to learn more about the people I were accepting into my college.

Article Response 2

Article 2 really caught my eye because it can go both ways. It explains how many different religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use. In a way I agree because medical marijuana could be useful. Marijuana is a drug along with all other drugs that people take for pain. What’s the difference between marijuana and popping a pill? In my opinion there is no difference. Marijuana should be legal for medical use only. Doctors can subscribe drugs that are much more dangerous than marijuana. So why shouldn’t medical marijuana be legal, just about every other drug is. If a person is caught with a lot of marijuana and it’s not prescribed by there doctor that’s when the situation should go to another level because the person most likely isn’t using medical marijuana, there just using it as a drug. If the law enforcement say that marijuana is bad most likely everyone would agree because they are the law, but in reality that’s just an opinion that’s no better than anyone’s because we’re all human. In my opinion medical marijuana shouldn’t be banned.

Article 3

Article 3 is interesting because it explains how united airlines charge obese people double because they most likely will have to purchase two seats. As cruel as this sounds its only fair to everyone else on the plane. No one wants to purchase a ticket and can’t enjoy their plane ride because an obese person is sitting next to them. The article states that “last year they had seven hundred complaints from passengers who had to share there seats. If the plane isn’t full they can still be reacommdated, and have no extra charge. On the other hand, if the plane is full they will be bumped, which means they will have to purchase a second ticket at the same price as the first ticket. This policy is effective immediately. I agree with the article, because if I was in someone’s position on a plane next to an obese person and I had to share my seat i would be very upset. There definition of an obese passenger is if the passenger is unable to lower the armrest and buckle a seatbelt with one extension belt. I totally agree with what they are saying in this article!


Article 4

In article 4 I agree with the side that they are taking. It simply explains hwo people aren’t able to get license plates with their religion, but are able to get other things. People should be able to express how they feel and promote their religion. If someone is riding around with Jesus or Christ on their license plate it shouldn’t offend anyone, even though it might. Anything can offend someone. Everyone has their own way of believing in differnet things. What’s the difference in a person driving with Jesus on their plate, the driver behind them is Muslim, and someone with Lakers on their plate and the person behind them are a Colts fan. There is no difference. People should be able to express themselves with their religion. The article states a good fact which is when it recites the first amendment. The first amendment is called The Freedom of Speech. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean the next person won’t, which is the reason I can relate to this article.


Article 5

Article 5 stated a lot of different things that were about racial disparities that persist in higher paying jobs. If people have the same amount of education and job experience then they should both be applicable for the same amount of jobs. This article is explaining the percentages of blacks, whites, and Hispanics jobs. The biggest disparity between proffesional blacks and whites since the 77 percent rate in 2001, when the U.S. fell into a recession due to the collapse of the tech bubble and the September 11 terror attack. Blacks and Hispanics lag behind whites for higher paying jobs at the largest rates in about a decade, this shouldn’t be if we all have the same amount of intelligence and education.

MSalter 4th pd said...

Article #1

Some colleges checking out applicants’ social networking post

I chose this particular article because colleges were checking out applicants social net working posts. It is important to respond to this article because it is very important to know that admission office is searching for personal information about concerning students. In my opinion, I believe that students have a right to personal privacy and that privacy should no be invaded by anyone. I believe that some colleges will try anything to recruit students. Myspace page is not the place to recruit students and gather there information. This article affects me and society because; there should be rules to prevent colleges from using my space information. There should be limits set and penalties for those who do wrong. Myspace is a fun website,
but young people can be judge wrong by what they put on my space and if colleges do toss applications based on my space it is unfair to students and unfair to society. Students should be careful about what they put on my space, which is one possible solution. It could have people to look at you a different way. Another solution would be to set up a way to catch people who spy on high school students. It should be against the law to judge students by what the place on my space. After all they are just having fun. Information should not be held against them to keep them out of college.
Article #2

Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use

I chose this article because I wanted to know why religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use. It is extremely important to respond to this article because we should be careful on how to use marijuana (drug) to help in the medical field. In my view concerning this article, I believe if doctors are going to use this drug they should make it harder for patients to get to the medical treatment, because you never know who would try to use this drug for something other than a medical procedure. I think that this could be a good thing, to use marijuana so that it could keep down nausea, pain, illnesses such as HIV, cancer, and other chronic pain. This issue can also affect me and society because it seems that we as society are letting people use marijuana when ever they want to, and that’s not how we should have society looked as. A possible solution for this issue would be to allow a professional doctor decide who actually need the drug. If the drug needed to help an illness, then people should be allowed to get a prescription for it.
Article #3
United Airlines to charge obese people double

I chose this article because it struck my attention. I want to find out why the United Airlines would charge obese people double for their airline ticket. This article is important to respond to because people that deal with obesity shouldn’t have to pay extra for an airline ticket. I think that they are equal just like everybody else, and they can not help the way they look. In my opinion, airlines should make seats more comfortable with more room to lower the arm rest, buckles, and wider seat belts. This issue affects me and society because it can bring embarrassment to people and their families. It would cause people that struggle with obesity to have a lower standard of themselves because they would have to pay extra money for a flight in which people who are not obese will make them feel less of a human being. Over weight is not their fault, and they shouldn’t have to pay extra because some people can’t control their eating habits. Being over weight depends on people’s metabolism. People with a high metabolism can gain weight less, and people with a low metabolism can gain weight gradually. Charging extra for over weight people to me is very inhumane, because basically it seems that they are charging twice for two people. A possible solution for this article would be for airlines to treat everyone with an equal respect.
Article # 4
Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

I chose this article because it dealt with religious license plates and I wanted to know why people are debating about it. It is important to respond to this article because I have seen religious license plates and I want to stay informed about what is going on in society. I feel that it is okay to express your belief in Jesus. Most of society believes in God or some kind of God. I may not like their God but I respect their opinion or belief. We are all different we all have a set of different beliefs. We should not down the other. This article affects me and society because we as a people should have basic rights. One of those rights should be the freedom to put a religious plate on your car if you want to. I believe that we are a country of diversity. We should embrace diversity. However, if people do not believe in God, they do not have the right to stop others from expressing their belief. One possible solution to the issue in this article would be to allow people to express their faith and stand behind the constitution which protect this right. Most of the people on our society are Christian. Maybe, we should ban anti- Christian and hate groups from coming against law abiding Christians. We should find away to shut them up and stop haters from disturbing the peace in society.
Article # 5
Racial disparities persist in higher-paying jobs

I chose this article because it dealt with racial problems in higher paying jobs. This article is important to respond to because it is good to know what is happing in today’s job force. In my view concerning this article, racism continues in our society and it is important to keep up with what going on so we can try to find meaningful ways to fix the problem or make the change that we need. This issue affects me and society because minorities are often mistreated on the job. They are the last hired and the first fired. Most minorities earn less than whites do. There are so many jobs that discriminate against minorities. This has been going on for years in our society. Our society is affected because prejudice has not been dealt with. The government should have committee to monitor these jobs to make sure that they are hiring a certain number of African Americans and Hispanics and other minorities and if the companies do not follow the rules and guide lines then the head boss of these companies should be fined and sent to jail. I believe that the government should look into the companies paper work and they should look art salaries to see of minorities are being paid fair wages.

A.Simmons 2nd period said...

Article #1

Some colleges checking out applicants’ social networking post

I chose this particular article because colleges were checking out applicants social net working posts. It is important to respond to this article because it is very important to know that admission office is searching for personal information about concerning students. In my opinion, I believe that students have a right to personal privacy and that privacy should no be invaded by anyone. I believe that some colleges will try anything to recruit students. Myspace page is not the place to recruit students and gather there information. This article affects me and society because; there should be rules to prevent colleges from using my space information. There should be limits set and penalties for those who do wrong. Myspace is a fun website,
but young people can be judge wrong by what they put on my space and if colleges do toss applications based on my space it is unfair to students and unfair to society. Students should be careful about what they put on my space, which is one possible solution. It could have people to look at you a different way. Another solution would be to set up a way to catch people who spy on high school students. It should be against the law to judge students by what the place on my space. After all they are just having fun. Information should not be held against them to keep them out of college.
Article #2

Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use

I chose this article because I wanted to know why religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use. It is extremely important to respond to this article because we should be careful on how to use marijuana (drug) to help in the medical field. In my view concerning this article, I believe if doctors are going to use this drug they should make it harder for patients to get to the medical treatment, because you never know who would try to use this drug for something other than a medical procedure. I think that this could be a good thing, to use marijuana so that it could keep down nausea, pain, illnesses such as HIV, cancer, and other chronic pain. This issue can also affect me and society because it seems that we as society are letting people use marijuana when ever they want to, and that’s not how we should have society looked as. A possible solution for this issue would be to allow a professional doctor decide who actually need the drug. If the drug needed to help an illness, then people should be allowed to get a prescription for it.
Article #3
United Airlines to charge obese people double

I chose this article because it struck my attention. I want to find out why the United Airlines would charge obese people double for their airline ticket. This article is important to respond to because people that deal with obesity shouldn’t have to pay extra for an airline ticket. I think that they are equal just like everybody else, and they can not help the way they look. In my opinion, airlines should make seats more comfortable with more room to lower the arm rest, buckles, and wider seat belts. This issue affects me and society because it can bring embarrassment to people and their families. It would cause people that struggle with obesity to have a lower standard of themselves because they would have to pay extra money for a flight in which people who are not obese will make them feel less of a human being. Over weight is not their fault, and they shouldn’t have to pay extra because some people can’t control their eating habits. Being over weight depends on people’s metabolism. People with a high metabolism can gain weight less, and people with a low metabolism can gain weight gradually. Charging extra for over weight people to me is very inhumane, because basically it seems that they are charging twice for two people. A possible solution for this article would be for airlines to treat everyone with an equal respect.
Article # 4
Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

I chose this article because it dealt with religious license plates and I wanted to know why people are debating about it. It is important to respond to this article because I have seen religious license plates and I want to stay informed about what is going on in society. I feel that it is okay to express your belief in Jesus. Most of society believes in God or some kind of God. I may not like their God but I respect their opinion or belief. We are all different we all have a set of different beliefs. We should not down the other. This article affects me and society because we as a people should have basic rights. One of those rights should be the freedom to put a religious plate on your car if you want to. I believe that we are a country of diversity. We should embrace diversity. However, if people do not believe in God, they do not have the right to stop others from expressing their belief. One possible solution to the issue in this article would be to allow people to express their faith and stand behind the constitution which protect this right. Most of the people on our society are Christian. Maybe, we should ban anti- Christian and hate groups from coming against law abiding Christians. We should find away to shut them up and stop haters from disturbing the peace in society.
Article # 5
Racial disparities persist in higher-paying jobs

I chose this article because it dealt with racial problems in higher paying jobs. This article is important to respond to because it is good to know what is happing in today’s job force. In my view concerning this article, racism continues in our society and it is important to keep up with what going on so we can try to find meaningful ways to fix the problem or make the change that we need. This issue affects me and society because minorities are often mistreated on the job. They are the last hired and the first fired. Most minorities earn less than whites do. There are so many jobs that discriminate against minorities. This has been going on for years in our society. Our society is affected because prejudice has not been dealt with. The government should have committee to monitor these jobs to make sure that they are hiring a certain number of African Americans and Hispanics and other minorities and if the companies do not follow the rules and guide lines then the head boss of these companies should be fined and sent to jail. I believe that the government should look into the companies paper work and they should look art salaries to see of minorities are being paid fair wages.

red60 said...

Article 1
To me, when you graduate that suppose to be the best time of your life, but you still got to go to college. Now College admissions and financial aid officers are trying to the MySpace Face book to find your college applications and your college entry essays. When they see some inappropriate things or pictures on your MySpace, they might decide to toss out your application after reading what you wrote about that cool party last week or how you want to conduct your romantic life at college. Watch what put on the Internet, besides quit trying to impress people you don’t even know or see because their not going to help you with anything.

Article 2
Legalizing marijuana is not a good idea, because I personal, I don’t smoke weed, but most people do. Another reason weed shouldn’t legalize it because of how people act over weed, they try to do anything to hustle up and get. You are hurting the cause with a rather poor exercise in basing someone's religion. I know when god creates Earth, weed was already on earth, but it doesn’t mean when have to use it for our religion because it’s stupid. When some people smoke weed normal, but they’ll be more relax. While other people act stupid which leads to violence and other stupid things.
Article 3
The one thing obese people have a problem, trying to find way to travel. Airplane policy obese person would have to buy two seats insade of one that makes it harder on them. Reason I don’t feel sorry because they stuff face with lots of food, sit at home lifting a cheeseburger in one hand is not exercising. They can at workout some way to loose weight so they are able to travel more.
Article 4
People actually care about what license plate says on it, that’s just stupid on them. If it said something sexual or gang related, but its talking about religious license plate something that can help many people. It is our fiduciary obligation to be the best stewards in any choices we make. I guess when people see religious license plate the angry with it and have a big fuse about, instead of begin thankful for people who actually believe in god. When its all said and done, people are still going to express themselves anyway they can.
Article 5
The reason whites make more money with well payed jobs because their not an ethnicity group. Its clear education alone is not the full reason for the pay gaps, but other races can make as much money as whites; only thing we have to do is work harder. To me, some white people have more advantages than other races, like other races people usually amuse them of not being a good worker or trustful enough with other people.

D.Taylor
2nd period
English 3 Ms.Hill

Anonymous said...

In my opion with making this drug legal it would just give criminals a chance to praticipate in antother illegal activitiy. Meanwhile people are going to do what they want no matter what the law is.As you can see all this will do is make it easier for people to do acriminal act.Although marijuana is proven not to be an addicted drug its still an drug and people will still misuse the substance.As you can see their are so people that have serious health issues and truly need it but its illegal. Their are so many people that use marijuana that the people who truly need it may never be able to use it legaly.Their are more dangerous and legal durgs but why use them and marijuana works.Meanwhile their are many people who try to use the whole religiuos belief as way to try and make their wrong doings right. Terrance Carlton 11-2 4th

Anonymous said...

In my opion these people were teated unfairly and this should be publiczied and dealed with legaly. No matter what some one size is their still leagaly and physicaly one person know matter how big they are. I feel that this a way to make people feel degraded and unequal. No matter how big a person is it should cost no more or less to do sometihng you may. have to do at any point in your life.How would you feel if you had to pay twice the price just because of your size. If I remember clearly thier is a law against discrimination.As you can see life isn't always fair but the law dosen't protect you from every thing.Just think about some you know that is obese and think about if it was having to pay double and you didn't have it. I feel that the airlines should try to adjust
the problem and make some bigger seats.Finally as you can see I feel strongly about every living human being should be treated equally and have the same rights.
Terrance Carlton 11-2 4th

J.Howse2 said...

Article #1 Response
This article is important to respond to because it involves me. I have a myspace page, and the article is stating that some colleges are looking up applicants pages to see what is on them. By reading and responding, I know to be careful about what I put on my page because some applicants applications are being tossed out by college admissions and financial aid officers. I feel like what they are doing is just simply because they are trying to pick the right applicants. Envision this hypothetical situation. Your a college admission or financial aid officer, and your observing an applicants myspace page. On their page, you see how they are saying they didn’t get caught after committing a homicide. They have pictures of them self with a lot of different types of guns, and they seem to be a person who has made bad choices. Honestly speaking, would you allow this person to go to your college. To me, these are some of the things they’re looking to find and things that are bad or unjustly.
This article affects me because I have a myspace page. Thanks to current events, I know that some colleges are looking up social network. I wouldn’t want my myspace page to interfere with me and the college of my dreams. I would be sad to find out that I didn’t get accepted to a college because of something that was on my page. The best resolution is to do the right thing at all times.

Article #2 Response
This article is important because it talks about medical marijuana. Quite frankly, the use of marijuana is illegal, and it’s a crime. A law should be passed so that the drug can mitigate problems that doctor patients are having. Any drug can be misused, and it can help people beneficially. The law should be passed so that recommended doctor patient’s could use it without worrying about the use of it as a crime. You never know what can help a person, and anyway doctor studies prove marijuana is helpful as a medicine. What makes marijuana any different from any other drug. People probably would misuse marijuana, but still people misuse other drugs. The only difference is that prescribed drugs are legal.
This situation affects me. How you might ask? Well what if someday something happens to me, and I have to be sent to the hospital. Different drugs have their own meaningful uses. What if I needed marijuana, but I couldn’t use it because the drug is illegal. What is there for me to do? I’m pretty sure that marijuana was meant to aid people with their problems. That’s why the use of marijuana should be legal only when recommended from a doctor.

Article #3 Response
Obese people referred to in the article should have to pay for two seats because more than likely they are going to be using them. No one wants to seat with a passenger that is all in their space. I have not been on a airplane yet ,but I wouldn’t want a passenger all in my space. The entire ride would be uncomfortable if a obese person was seating next me. I wouldn’t like it at all, and I would be mad because I wasn’t able to enjoy my ride. If I was on an airplane seating next to an obese person, I wouldn’t complain because I hate hurting people feelings. I would take being uncomfortable just so I wouldn’t hurt anyone’s feelings.
A solution that is good is to keep the policy effective and enforce the policy. As long as thy do this, the majority will be happy. Some people would be hurt even though. A can tell you one thing. There will be a lot of problems. The best solution is to make the policy ineffective, and make other policies. No one will be pleased no matter what happens.

Article #4 Response
This article is good and I like the other argument. I feel as though people have the right to express anything freely and willingly. I don’t understand why people get offended by what someone else does. It’s not like the people who are getting offended are doing what offend themselves. To me, certain things shouldn’t be done in public. Some things shouldn’t be done at all. Why shouldn’t people be able to get a religious license plate? In the article it didn’t state whether a law was present that restricted people from having them. I would get a religious license plate made just to make people made for no reason. I wouldn’t take it off unless the police made me, and then I would take my right to court.
The best thing to do if they haven’t already is to create a law against or standing for religious license tags. By doing this no one can get mad when someone is riding with a religious tag or not. Some one getting mad over a license tag is very evil. Why would a person get mad a license plate when they can have a license plate with their religion. This is so incongruous. The people getting mad are illogical because they can get license plates that shows their own belief.

Article #5 Response
This article is important because it involves my race of people and how we lag in higher paying jobs. I wonder why my race and Hispanics lag in higher paying jobs? Is it because we aren’t Caucasian. I think that my point is exactly why other races lag in higher jobs. I am proud that other races are succeeding, but I’m mad that it’s only because of what race a person is. That’s just like saying a person received a job that he could have never received only because of race. So it’s like the Caucasian people are winning statistically only because of their race. I hate racism simply because it’s wrong. I love everyone, but I just wish everyone was equal. Everyone is considered equal, but I know that we aren’t.
I don’t think there is a solution to this problem. I just think that everyone should work hard no matter what any statistics say, and aim for success. Aiming for success will aid in making a person successive. Working hard is a key factor in being successful because the harder you work the more likely a person will be successful. People have to think smart and work hard, and by doing this you can’t go wrong

JAZMINE 2period said...

JAZMINE LESURE

Article#1
This is a very interesting and shocking article. I have never heard of colleges searching the web for applicants’ personal profiles. It is something different, but at the same time I feel like it’s not fair to some people. Just because someone says something on their “PERSONAL PROFILE” doesn’t mean that they aren’t dedicated to their education. Although, I some cases it could help admission officers to keep the trouble makers from attending their schools. This can cause fewer kiosks on campus. I believe that colleges shouldn’t just use the person’s profile to decide whether or not they should or should not admit someone into a school.



Article#2
I think this has I good topic. Being that some people actually need this illegal drug, the question of whether or not it should become legal is an interesting one. The decision should be made medical wise and the patients who are prescribed the drug should be able to prove that is it for a medical condition. The registry identification card is an excellent idea. The plants given to the patients should monitored closely so that it want be used illegally and sold. The fact that the article includes God, I believe it wasn’t necessary for him to be used. This issue has nothing to do with God, in my opinion.

Article#3
I think that this article is a reasonable one. As an Airline company it’s important that they make sure each customer is comfortable on their flights. Reason being, is so the company will not suffer losing any money or customers. The thing I like most about this policy is that the person want have to pay for two seats, but will enjoy their flight. Also it’s fair that they can cancel their flight if there is not enough room on a flight and will be refunded the total cost of their ticket is a good deal. In some cases it may be a down-fall plan because some flights maybe urgent but if there is not enough room then the passenger has to cancel his/her flight and they may have a family emergency.

Article#4
I have an indifferent opinion on whether or not license plates should or should not display religions simply because, as the article states, it may offend ones’ of other religions. But also one does have the right to expression his or her expression on speech. It may cause altercations in public areas; it’s probable cause for conflict. It’s only fair that people be allowed to the publicize their religion ,which means being able to display this on their license plate. That’s just like some Memphis residents being U of M fans vs. UT Knox fan. People are not going to get out of their cars and vandalize the opponents fan’s car. Just because you’re not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew and someone is doesn’t mean that you have to convert to the other because you see it on someone’s plate. Everyone is entitled to his or her own belief, culture, or life-style.

N.Armstrong said...

ARTICLE#1
Colleges using internet websites to determine someone future is ridiculous. We know everyone is not going to be a perfect little angel because we all are humans. So, what you turn on the internet and see a young lady/man at a bar having drinks that’s average behavior for young Americans. You shouldn’t try to take someone scholarship that they went to school for twelve years for because they having a great time at some night club. The administrators act as if they never wild out during their college days and did some things that they would not want their mom or dad to see. I believe no matter what the person behavior may be at night clubs you shouldn’t keep them from achieving their goal as if you are so much better than them. Now you can always strip a student of their scholarship if the rules if they don’t follow the rules of the scholarship, but to not give them a chance is wrong.
ARTICLE#2
I believe that marijuana use should be legalized all over the country. I have no problem the ideal of passing a bill that will give medical drugs if it helps mitigate the pains for HIV patients that’s great. I think people have thought of marijuana like other drugs such as crack which ruin lives. Marijuana does not have people around here selling everything out their houses or out on the street begging for food or spare change. Now I’m not a weed smoker but I know people who do and they seem happy and in a good mood and the worst thing that might happen smoking marijuana are that you might have short memory loss but nothing major. Marijuana shouldn’t be criminalized but utilized for happiness. It does not make people kill it only makes you hungry. So I am all for legalizing marijuana for the greater good.
ARTICL#3
I don’t know what to say about this. I just know these obese people need to stop eating and exercising because the are going to be big and broke messing with these airlines. You can’t say the airlines are wrong because they are trying to run a business and seven hundred complaints are not good. These people have been taking other folks seats and those people are tired of paying so some obese person can come and sit in it. Now kicking them off the flight and making them purchase another ticket to get on another flight seems like they could have come up with some different. I would rather they kick them off and let the use the same money the spent and let them find one of the flights for the obese instead of making them spend all that money. So, I think this should be a wake up call for these huge people trying to fly somewhere.
ARTICLE#4
I think denying religious plates are nonsense. The world is becoming so stupid and acts like there is nothing better to do but to mess with religious people about their license plates. I can’t figure out what harm does putting your faith on your license plate do. Unless the government is atheism, they need to focus on the more important things in life like how the U.S is going to keep our cash flow. Their mission is to help Obama get us out the red not deny someone from putting Jesus, Buddha, or another faith on the back of their car. I agree with the person making the point about the sports team. I mean there are people out here whose favorite team is their religion. People are free to express their selves in the U.S and the government shouldn’t try to change that.
ARTICLE#5
I don’t believe no matter what we do as minorities in this country, that we will ever be paid as much as whites. We can complain all day and we still want be treated the same. Part of it is our fault for killing of our own race. We will never out do the whites because we are destroying ourselves and our youth. Hispanics have a better chance than blacks of succeeding in this country. They have great family value and they don’t kill of their race. They have better work ethic than blacks and they are willing to work their way to the top and don’t waste time looking for shortcuts in life. If blacks want to start being successful people and looked as civilized people we need to come together as one and make it happen. So, don’t waste time on blaming race for our problems instead we need to take blame and responsibility for the whole we dug.

K.Clayton 2nd period said...

Response 1:

“Some colleges checking out applicants’ social networking posts.” This is a great idea! It tells the unknown personality people try so hard to hide from there professional. public. The internet is filled with such flitted and immorality. I just don’t see how any manager would want to hired anyone with that kind of demeanor. Majority of the people I know have explicit things on their web page and got lied off just because of social network. So, this strategy will defiantly work against the sneaky network perverts. It can reduce inappropriate behavior in and off the college campus as well; just by reducing the bad explicit behavior in employment. Just by doing this it makes the society look productive rather than trashy. I enjoyed this topic because it has affect on my opportunity. My opportunity can be destroyed just by inappropriate internet activity.

Response 2:

9 out 10 young adults I know try drugs without any doctors’ recommendation just because it makes them feel relax and wild. This law is not going to have any good effect on the society, because there would be more drug dealers than now. I think this idea is outrageous! Do the legislation officials care about the sick drug addict people? According to research published in the journal addiction, the use of cannabis cause psychotic symptoms, and physical damage to airways such as respiration problems. Those who smoke frequently have lower educational standards and lower income. So you see not only does it affect the society health but the economy as well. As I think about it, it could be a possibility that this law will affect my family tree as well. However, I didn’t enjoy reading this at all, because this law isn’t going better my community. So, I ask myself why would I agree to this topic?

Response 3:

I think this topic “United Airlines to charge obese people double,” is not fair at all because obesity is a diagnosis that can’t be cured. From research it’s more of a disorder that has to do with age, genetics, environmental factors, physical activity, psychological factors, and illness, and medication. However, I think it’s unfair to those who have to give up a seat that they paid so much money on. I think to mitigate the problem is to just make a section strictly for the obese people. Overall, this was not so intriguing to read because fact is I don’t like to be rude to anyone. So, it was in a position to give up my seat I would, but I take no side from the obese people or the people who have to give up their seat. I do agree it’s a major problem, but to make a section would be nice to make the situation fair for obese people and the people who have to give up their seats.

Response 4:

This is a very interesting article base on religious diversity. I think it’s a great idea to express your opposition. I know I love to express myself because it show I have pride in what I believe and that’s a great way to conduct yourself professionally. Also, to conduct yourself professionally open doors to great opportunities. For example, your dream is to be a model one day and you so happen to be grocery shopping. While your grocery shopping you don’t look so decent. Just think about it, “Would any modeling agent want to put that girl in their photo shoot?” So, how you represent yourself is always important. It a known fact that every wants to be different in their own way. Everyone wants their signature style to be notice. So, imperative that you represent what you believe, but first it always starts with self confidence. If your confidence level is on top then you want be a follower. What I mean by this, is coping the same style, religious, and other oppositions. Just think about it, “Would you want to be you or someone your not? So, I think it would be a great idea for everyone to represent themselves on a license plate.

Response 5:

Hispanics and Blacks should get same amount of pay as the whites. “No one should be judged by the color of their skinned, but by the content of their character,” Martin Luther King once said. For example, people get judged by their action which is their character. It’s like sitting in front of a judge while being charged with attempted murder. I think every individual deserve equal rights. That’s what the Equal Rights Amendment affirmed to all the United States citizens. This Amendment has a historic past of pride and courage for all Americans citizens and should not be denied or abridged by any officials. This is clearly stated as the equal rights, “Equality of Rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of sex.”

miesha woods said...

Article 1: To me I think that is a good decision that the college admissions and financial aid officers will throw out your collge application because of what you wrote on your facebook or myspace page. The reason I said that is a good idea because the people that's writing them could act like that in college and could give the college a bad reputation and a bad look. When David Hawkins said "Don't post anything that you don't want your mother or father or college admission officer to see," I agree to that. Just because you think your college admissions is old, that doesn't mean they don't know how to work a computer and how to get on myspace or facebook. You'll be surprise how much they know about computers and the websites we be on. So what I am saying is that is one of the most wonderful idea they came up with.

miesha woods said...

Article 2: I think passing the bill to legalize marijuana is a good idea. I say it's a good idea because several studies suggest that marijuana can stop nausea, pain and distress for patients with illnesses such as HIV, cancer, multiple sclerosis and chronic pain. To me that's a good reason to legalize marijuana and not get in trouble for it. Even though many peole is against it, but look at the odds of it. It can help with a lot of illness and things like that. Marijuana can be very helpful and useful. It can ease your mind, help with illness, and leave you in peace. Overall, I think it is a good idea to legalize marujuana.

miesha woods said...

Article 3: I think this is a very bad decision. Just because obese people can't buckle a seat belt doesn't mean you can charge them double, just get them another seat by they selves and let them use two seat belts. To me that is also an assult and very disrespectful. I say that because by coming up with that idea, you don't know but it might of hurted a lot of people feelings. Obese people know that they got to lose weight. My grandmother is obese, just because she is don't give no right to charge her double if she wanted to ride an airplane. If my grandmother read this article, it would actually hurt her feelings. So overall this is a bad decision and I personally don't like this article. It is an assult to obese people.

miesha woods said...

Aritcle 4: This article is a crazy article that's telling the truth. I know some body like that, they hate to see a religious license plate on the back of some body car. To me having a religious license plate is a representation of GOD and you are representing him well. It just goes to show how angry anti-Christian crowds get and their non-beilf in Christ. To me having a religious license plate is a freedom of speech. LIke the fist amendment say, it is America's inception, citizens demanded a guarantee of their basic freedoms. So there for let the people have they religious license plates if they want to. That's how I see it.

tonja luster said...

Tonja Luster
4th period

CURRENT EVENT #1

Would you feel comfortable knowing that your college admissions and financial aid officers view your face book or myspace profiles?
In my opinion I think that its not the college admissions or the financial aid officers position to be viewing students profiles. Yet, student shouldn’t post or upload things they wouldn’t want their parents to see. With that being said people shouldn’t expose their self on display, knowing that they are trying to get accepted into a college or university. I feel that by the media not specifying which college or universities it is would have the students kind of afraid to register their self in any college in California. I personally wouldn’t want to attend a college because of the discrimination of the admissions office. To me colleges really don’t have a right to look up personal information. Students shouldn’t post negative things online if they know they have a good reputation and very smart. In closing, these are my personal opinions on how I feel about this article.

tonja luster said...

Tonja Luster
4th period

CURRENT EVENT #1

Would you feel comfortable knowing that your college admissions and financial aid officers view your face book or myspace profiles?
In my opinion I think that its not the college admissions or the financial aid officers position to be viewing students profiles. Yet, student shouldn’t post or upload things they wouldn’t want their parents to see. With that being said people shouldn’t expose their self on display, knowing that they are trying to get accepted into a college or university. I feel that by the media not specifying which college or universities it is would have the students kind of afraid to register their self in any college in California. I personally wouldn’t want to attend a college because of the discrimination of the admissions office. To me colleges really don’t have a right to look up personal information. Students shouldn’t post negative things online if they know they have a good reputation and very smart. In closing, these are my personal opinions on how I feel about this article.

TONJA LUSTER 4THPERIOD said...

Tonja Luster
4th period

CURRENT EVENT #2

Legalizing marijuana as prescribed drug is a issue to some in America today. I feel that if the drug is needed in patients and it is a cure doctors should use. But, if not for some reasoning they should not prescribe to ones who just want to use it for fun. The government show a lot of attention to lawful discussions but for this particular one, nothing is being said. In the biblical days people use plants for cures and still do today. So why not prescribe marijuana as needed. it’s a health issue the government has to deal with. My personal opinion don’t really count but I really think they should use marijuana as a prescribed drug. People shouldn’t take advantage of but should take heed to what the government appose to the U.S.. In conclusion this is how I feel marijuana has an effect on me.

johnniewilliams 7th period said...

I think that college students should beware of colleges tossing out applicaton.Why because most students have a Myspace and Facebook thats not worth seeing. By you posting bad things about you make a college think its a wast of time for them to look at your application.In my opinion you should not have nothing on their that you wouldnt wont your mother or father to see anyway. If you post bad things it make you seem like everything is a joke to you.By the if you post bad things on the Internet were everybody can see you that make people think. But the college is not gone think when they see bad things they just gone toss your application out.

Anonymous said...

By:Terrance Harris



Activity 1
First of all, let me start by saying that I do not think you should put any of your personal business on MySpace. I don’t think you should do that because MySpace is a site where any and everybody can see and read your personal business if it is posted. As for the colleges looking, on your page, I don’t see a problem with that; because your page is put out for everyone to see. If In were a dean at a community college, I would not want students who get drunk to wear lamp shades or stand on beer kegs at my school because that’s not the image, I would want to put out .As for what Susan Wilbur said, I Don’t think colleges have time for that, but if I were to give student a scholarship and they act a fool at my college, I’m sure there would be a problem, but I personally believe that students should watch what they put on MySpace anyway because it will mess up their future .

Activity 2
I almost completely agree with Rex. Al Sharp. I do not think certain people should be punished for using marijuana if they have to but, I am not sure that I would rather treat illegal drugs use as a health issue instead of treating it as a crime. I do not completely agree with this because if certain people knew that they could do drugs on a regular basis by just saying they have a health issue they would do it all the time. Personally believe even more drugs would be used and abused daily because people say they have health issues. Many Americans put up with much stress in their lives, and many believe they can overcome this stress by getting high, but as far as people going to prison because of using the drug for medical use, I think that is completely unfair; so I think that if people have a health issue, they should get a register notification slip from a doctor and get what they need


Activity 3
I am not this is all the way fair to the obese passenger because the flight is full, the obese passenger would have to purchase another seat at the same price as original fare, and if I were to be an obese citizen, I would not wait to purchase another ticket at original fare if I would have to share the seat with another person. I also do not think acts such as these are fair because obese citizens should not be charged more simply for being bigger than other people are. I really believe it’s the people who work at the airlines job to make sure that everyone is conformable in every seat, all of the time. I also think that the airlines should be responsible for making the seating comfortable for any short, fat, tall, or skinny passenger, and if the airlines wont change their seating arranments I think people should protest.


Activity 4
I personally think that someone telling you what and what not to put on the back of you motoring vehicle is unfair treatment. I can’t seem to understand why you can put things about your pet, sports team mom, dad or even college on the back of your car but you can’t put “Jesus”. I also do not think putting your religion on the back of your license plate will compromise the separation of the church and state. I also do not believe that by having Christian based license plate will offend other driven .I do not think I could see anyone being offended by a license plate that says “Jesus “even if they we Muslim, Jewishor, Catholis.I read in the Constitution that it is our constitutional right that you can say what you want to, write what you want to, and practice any religion that you want to. I do not think that the Florida Legislative system has the right to take that away from anyone.

johnniewilliams 7th preiod said...

Allow medical use of marijuana, I say that because legalizing marijuana can stop people from having pains and strees. By them legaliing marijuana it does help most people in this world today. Why cause the times we are in now has been keeping strees on people. So by them legalizing it help releave strees from they mind. cause marijuana does help. If they have a Rev.Al Sharp agree to that then it is a good thing to do. Soyes marijuana should be legalize.

johnniewilliams 7th preiod said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TONJA LUSTER 4THPERIOD said...

Tonja Luster
4th period

CURRENT EVENT #3

If you were obese and you had to aboard a plane would you want to pay double for two seats? This article here is very interesting to me. Personally I feel like that is a discrimination towards people who are obese. Obese people are just as equaled to people who are normal sized. I wouldn’t want to pay any extras outside my normal pay just to be comfortable on a plane. To me that is so mean, I feel as if it were me, I would raise hell.(excuse my language) I wouldn’t feel comfortable at all. If I was in that situation were as me having to pay double or even have to move because some doesn’t have enough room because of my obesity I would refuse to move. Just because of someone’s size and even weight doesn’t mean the pay is different. I would want the equal rights just like everyone else.

johnniewilliams 7th period said...

Is it right to charge obese people to ride on a airplane? No,because just because they cant fasten their seat belt doesnt mean you can charge them double. Just move them to another seat by their selve and le them use two seats and belts. They should make a section on the airplane for them. Everybody is not the same size so they should have been thinking when they made there airline. Anyway it sound like they trying to make a joke to me and the joke is not funny. It sound like to me the airline is going broke to me why they trying to make obese people double

E.Ousley-2nd period said...

Article 1

In this article the author is discussing how the financial aid officers in California take a look at what you post on myspace or facebook before considering you as a student. I n my opinion about this particular situation I think that its not right for people to judge other people by what they have on a wed site and neither do I think that people should put themselves out their because like people say you never know who’s watching you. You shouldn’t want to put a bad name or comment out about yourself especially not the web because once again you never know who’s watching you. Another thing that the article mentioned about the college students was that they even where going to consider tossing out your application based on what they have read. A man by he name of David Hawkins said not to post anything that you wouldn’t want your mother to see. I totally agree with him on that, but at the same time it shouldn’t matter what do decide to do on your private time. I totally don’t think that colleges or universities should base what you have on your myspace or facebook page, to be considered as a student. I think that puts a lot of people in jeopardy because as teens a lot of us have a myspace or facebook, and the things we put on there are for entertainment, and not college based.

Article 2

In this particular article, in my opinion I think that this article is very different. I say that because I tried to choose a word that would not be rude or ugly towards the article. I think that this article is all wrong. Its crazy for some one to want to make marijuana is like a cure or something, when in reality, he not. I think that it is really silly because they say that several studies suggest that marijuana can take away pain such as nausea and anxiety. I don’t think that it’s possible. The article even discusses many religious leaders, hoping that they case restrictions on marijuana treating it as a public health issue instead of a crime. I also have another opinion about this situation, I also think that in a way they should legalize marijuana because even if they don’t people are still going to use the drug so why not go ahead and legalize the drug so that everyone can stop talking about how they wish that someone would make it legal.

Article 3

In this article I find this to be a bite rude and uncaused for because, In my opinion I think that obese people shouldn’t have to pay for to seats when hey are only just one person or one body what I do think is that since the airline are making so much money they should upgrade these airplanes and make the seats wider, bigger, and better because I also feel that if a person is paying good money they should be able to sit comfortable while on a plane. I think that it is wrong because obese people are often made fun of, and it probably would hurt their feelings. While on the other hand its right because airplanes are all about safety so if one seat belt doesn’t fit obviously they need another one. I find it to be sort of right. I n a way when I think about it I don’t see anything harmful done to anyone. Their just doing their job and that is to keep everyone safe. Airplanes also look at customer’s satisfaction, so that’s another reason why they want everything to be okay with everyone.

Article 4

In this article I found this article to be very interesting. I say that because people get license plates with their Greek letters, favorite teams, names, and other things. So, when it comes to getting a religions license plate, what’s the big deal? I don’t see one. I think that if you are able to express your favorite color, song, team, and so on, why not express your religion. If someone is a Christian and you are not that doesn’t mean that you should go berserk, because he or she believes in Jesus. I think that it’s nothing wrong with that. American is a country with religious diversity. We should be able to celebrate it not bash it. I think that every religion should be able to promote it on their license plate, show the world that America has diversity .I also think that if any college, sorority, or any other source of this nature can get what ever they wanted on their license plate why can’t the church members or people get their religion put on theirs. I think that is being very stereotype and racial toward the people who praise god. I also think that the people who do have things on their license plate are not putting positive things on them and tat they shouldn’t be allowed to have anything on them.

Article 5

I think that this article is informative. It tells us about what we can expect when we get out there in the real world on the job market. I don’t understand why there is such a big gap when it comes to blacks and whites salary. I don’t think it has anything to do with education. I say that because based on statistics black people can get the same education as whites. So to me we can make the same, if not more depending on what our major maybe to people who lack a high school diploma, its well understood that their salary want to be high but for blacks who’ve earned their masters and degrees, they should be at the top of the ladder. I still think the world think, as African Americans we are not suppose to be successful, and wealthy.

Anonymous said...

Article 1
To me this is a very misguided thing to do because, first of all the applicants were not aware of this background check, the applicants have fun just like a normal person would at a party and talked about it to a friend, and in my option no one should not be graded on there social life to be accepted into a school. This practice of background checks should be mentioned in the application to make sure you are aware of what you could be exposing yourself to so that the applicants could at least warn them about the thing they might will find. Also, the people that are applying for these collages are just coming from high school. High school students especially seniors love to have fun and party. When you are young people do wild things. In my own opinion this is not fair. Some people play hard true enough, but they might also work just as hard. An evaluation on the social part should not matter; it should be focused on the academic part.
Article 2
Medical marijuana (weed) is shouldn’t be a problem in my opion.The reason for me saying this is because this herb was put on the planet to help people in the being, secondly if you are using this plant for good it shouldn’t be a discussion, this should also be allowed because if this could ease the pain of another person it should be allowed .When God made this plant I don’t think this was made to be a drug .The intentions for this herb was to help man kind humans just corrupted this plant. Next, people that have a doctor’s note from the doctors should be allowed to posses this drug and this drug only. If the person is found with marijuana without permission they should then be prosecuted. It’s just like aspirin just because a couple of people abuse them you shouldn’t out law the drug if they are helping someone’s headache.
Article 3
To me this article is funny. When I first read this article it made me chuckle. All silliness aside I don’t think obese people over 250 pounds should have to pay for two seats .The reason for my thinking is because, everyone 250 isn’t obese some are just muscular, this is also offensive to obese people ,finally this is singling out one type of lifestyle choice. Some people over 250 pounds are not obese some are just muscular people. My farther is 255 pounds 6 feet, 4 inches but an ex football running back. My father is no where near obese he’s as healthy as an ox. If the airlines do this, it could hurt a lot of people’s feelings. Some people that are obese already feel bad about their weight. This could possibly lead in to the increase of suicides in the United States also. Some people are big people true enough. By putting the spot light on there flaw is so cruel in my opinion. Some people can’t help that they are big so why make them feel worst. If this is allowed it should be done on all forms of public transportations, if not this shouldn’t be allowed. Would you charge some one under a100 pounds for half the seat? I don’t think you would.
Article 4
This article to me sounds very dumb. So I can get a license plate that says cowboys but not one that’s says Jesus or God? To me people should be allowed to get any type of license plates they want to. I bag up that up with the following reasons, religion is something to be proud of, the people debating this are hypocrite, and Christianity isn’t the only religion. When you are a religions person it’s something to be very proud of. Some people get t-shirts that have pictures of their religious symbols on them. People are so proud they go and get them people get it tattooed to a body part. The people fighting this are hypocritical any way. They preach for libralaity but fight the expression of religion. Now days this should be one of the main things you celebrate. How could you find it possible to even attempt to argue against this? Also Christianity isn’t the only religion. Some Jewish people would also like to show their pried of their religion .What about the people that worship Buda, they might like something like that also. All I am saying is in America you are entitled to free speech so you should be able to use it freely.

anavis richardson said...

Some colleges checking out applicants' social networking posts

Picture this you are at home on your myspace talking to your friends and it mite be your bad day. So knowing its your bad day you are most likely going to end up writing some real crazy that has something to do with you fighting and that day rite there just mite be the day the collage recruiter go and look at you’re myspace or face book page. When you find out that that had happen you are going to be mad as ever cause if you tried to tell them that you where going thru somethings then they really wont want you in there collage because they think that if some one at school was take make you mad you would to be ready to fight an do violence things and that be the kind of stuff that makes collage recruiters worry . But I really don’t see why they would accept you because of what is on you myspace or face book or any other teenage website. They should just keep doing this the normal why because if they keep doing it this way they are going to missing some young people for there collage.



Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use


Picture this you are a person that is real hyper and it’s a medical condition that your doctor knows about and your family knows about it. So your doctor gives you this sheet that let the police know that it’s a prescription so you cant go to jail. So knowing that you are a hype person when you go home an sit down on your couch or whatever and start rolling your weed and then as soon as u light it next thing you know that smoke is going to hit your lounges and you are goin to be the most quietest person in the room because that’s all weed does to you it just calms you down weed is nothing like crack. When you are doing crack you do some of the most crazy stuff you will ever think of because u will be so high and dizzy you wont know what your doing. that’s why most people that are doing crack is dieing. So they should keep doing this prescription weed because it works for most people. And if you stop doing that and they don’t get nothing else to calm them down then they are going to end up doing something that would get them sent to jail. So in my mind as long as it is prescription I believe they should be able to do it for there problems.


United Airlines to charge obese people double

Amaging this. you are a big person that and you bought a ticket online so u can go on a business trip and they don’t know if you are big or small and when u show up an they see you weight about 500-600 pounds and the next thing you know they say that u have to buy another ticket because you will end up taking up two seats. I know with all your mite that you would be mad because I would be because that’s stupid. Why cant they just have a section for them instead of making them pay for another ticket. Its not to hard to get some seats that’s stretch out a little longer. Its not like they are saying that they don’t want to share the seat its just that they don’t have a choice. Its not like they can suck it in. so if it was me u would have to accept me as me cause I wouldn’t buy another ticket because of my weight they just like you saying that I am two people if I have to buy two tickets so I believe that they are really wrong for that.


Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

Picture this, you are riding in your car an you are a fan of god but you have this big truck in front of you and it has something disrespectful about jesus on the back of his window or license plate ok yea of course you will be mad because you believe in god and you believe he died for you but you cant say anything to them because that’s just them. They also cant say anything to you when you have jesus laying the cross and you have a scription from the bible on your car. But I just don’t see why any body will be against god because he did die for us and I don’t understand why most people that don’t believe in god believe. And I wounder how do they think they got on this earth it sure was not a wish or the devil but this is just how I feel about the whole situation

C.Walls 7th said...

Article #1
I think that is unfair because that information is taken out of context.People could just things on there just to attract other people.The behavior someone exzerts may not reflect how they really act or how they act in public.A person might partay his or her self as an idiotic or sexually driven person on thier myspace or facebook page bt is the complete opposite in real life.I also think it is a major waste of time,there are thousands of students each year and it would be extremly stressful to try and look up each and everyone of those students.

Article #2
Honestly i am in between sides on this one because forpeople who need it for medical uses would be helped by this.Whether or not they make it legal for medical uses people will continue to use it illegally so it really wouldnt matter.I think that if they are going to legalize it particially they might as well go all they way.If they completely legalized it it would cut down on they crime rate ,have more cells for the more serious criminals.
I also fell that if a church supports this then there should be no question about this law.

Article #3
I slightly agree with this policy because over weight people do take up more space.If over weight people take up room from the person beside them seat then the other person could complain and give the entire airline a bad review and decrease business.Also if the airline anticipates the maximum amount of weight the plane can endure , over weight people could throw off the calculation and make the plane crash.

Article #4
I think this interferces with our rights and freedom of speech.It also tries to supress our creativitly.I am becoming aware of how they are trying to exricate religions from every aspect of life.If they continue this then in a couple of decades religions would be reduced to a private celebration.I think that the govenor has no respect for the first ammendment and should either leave this situation alone or be stripped of his position.

Article #5
It is 2009 i think that all racial descrimities should be far behind us.It is petty to continue a debocale between races.This is a pointless battle that has been going on for ages and i think it should end here .It is wrong to base a person job or status on thier race.People always complain about racism but they continually pass this trait down to thier children and if they keep that up the cycle will never cease.

Retavious Matthews said...

Response #1

I think this is a good article because this is something that high school students should really know about. One inappropriate thing you place on your myspace page or face book could affect whether you get into college or not. I think this is a good idea and it could also be bad. It is good because this is way to learn a lot about a particular student without taking time out to call and ask those lots of questions. This could be a bad thing because everything that people put on their social network site is not always true. This issue affects me because I have a myspace and face book. And now with my senior year rapidly approaching I will definitely watch what I write on those pages. This issue affects society because mostly all of high school students own or have owned a social network profile. And I know they are not always mindful of what they put on their profile. A possible solution to this problem would be to just be mindful of what you post on your social profile. And just remember that if your parents wouldn’t approve of it then college officers wouldn’t either.


Response #2

I think this is a good article because legalizing marijuana could be a good and bad thing for our country. It could be good because it could help the people who are sick. But it could also hurt and be the reason for more crime in our country. If it was up to me I would only provide it to people who needed it real bad and the only way you could receive it was by an doctor. I will have patients stay in the hospital for a week and be under strict doctors watch. This issue affect society because their will more drugs and harmful things our streets just because people think its ok for them also. People would say they are sick just to get medicine for themselves. Even though I do understand that what the religious leaders are saying this could also be very risky. A possible solution to this problem would be to only give it to people under strict watch.


Response #3

I think this is a good article because it is only fair that every passenger enjoy their flight. And if making obese people pay more is what you have to do. It may be embarrassing for them but passengers deserve comfortable safe trip to their destination. This article is important because this have been going on for awhile an its about time they do something about it. I think airlines should passengers their weight and if they weight over a certain amount they should put them in another area. A area with bigger seats and less passengers so every one could enjoy their flight. This could be one solution to their problem. This issue could affect society because obese people may get offended by this an choose not fly never again. Then Airlines could lose money an probably their business with our country being in the recession now. Even though this is an good idea.


Response #4

I think this is a good article because you should be able to put anything that you like on your license plate. Whether its about sports ,religion, race or anything. As long as you pay your money to get it done I don’t anybody else should have an problem with it. As long as your not displaying profanity or anything to put down or hurt someone else. This article is important because its not right that you could show off your favorite team but show how important your religion is to you. Just like people may not like the same team you may like people may now share the same religion as you. So its nothing for people to go off and get angry about. This issue affects me because I would someday like to display my religion on my license plate. And I know I wouldn’t get offended if saw someone else with a different religion on their license plate.


Response #5

I think this is a good article because I would think after years of hard work and suffering our country would be equal by now. I guess some things don’t ever change. This article is important because Hispanics and African-Americans still don’t get treated fairly. Even though more Hispanics and blacks are finishing school and going to college its like it still not good enough. I think with more hardworking citizens and more students finishing school then we could someday get our pay equal or higher. This issue affects me because I am an African-American an I want to make the same amount as the people who did what I did. This issue affects society because if we don’t do better Caucasians are always going to think were inferior to them. We have to make a change and get those numbers turned around. A possible solution to this problem would be to just work harder to prove that we can do anything.

R.Matthews
5th prd
4/10/09

Unknown said...

Johnathan Bady 7th Period

Colleges Checking Out Applicants

I think this is absolutely outrageous. I think what these colleges are doing is extremely discriminating and may cause gifted students to lose out on great opportunities at education. Most people have myspace pages or facebook pages that concern their personal life and opinions and most of the time the things that are posted contain very detailed and intricate descriptions of themselves and some people of importance may find these things that are posted offensive and disturbing. I don’t think you can figure a person’s intelligence by hoe they appear or how they seem. I think the only way a future student or scholar should be denied access is if they don’t meet the standards of that program or college or if they don’t accurately qualify for education for that certain school. Overall I absolutely disagree with the ideas and acts of these schools and I believe it should be prohibited.

Legalize Marijuana

I definitely support the idea of legalizing marijuana. I am a Christian and I don’t use drugs but I understand the reason why some people sick and normal use this drug. It is proven that marijuana is a relief for pain, a stress reliever; it mitigates nausea and other associated illness. People who oppose this has never had a great misfortune of being affected with a horrible debilitating illness for which an FDA approve drug has not helped. Marijuana is not addictive as is far better for your body than most FDA approved drugs and narcotics. I have family members with serious diseases where they are forced to use marijuana because it soothes their body and mitigates the pain that the disease cause. Marijuana has so many positive affects. It’s a fact that it stimulates new brain cell growth, increases sex drive and makes people more creative. I don’t understand why marijuana use is illegal and alcohol isn’t. Alcohol has way more negative affects than weed and its legal. I defiantly think marijuana should be legal.

Obese People and Airlines

I defiantly agree that all of the airlines should charge extra for obese people. I think if they use or take up two seats then they should pay for two seats. I am one of many who has experienced sitting next to an obese person. It was the most uncomfortable seating I’ve ever experienced. It was like this person was all violating my personal space and literally sharing a seat with me. I felt like I had been cheated out of my money because he was all in my space violating my comfort and me. I also agree with the limit situations and the definition of what obese people are considered to be on these flights. The thing with the seat belt is a great way to determine a person’s obesity. This is also important because this can be a safety hazard for smaller people and larger people. If something was to happen on the plane and a smaller person couldn’t get past a larger person could prove injury or even death. Overall I definitely agree with the obese passengers paying double for their seats.

christain Turner said...

Some colleges checking out applicants' social networking posts


College admissions and financial aid officers in California and elsewhere may be peeking over your digital shoulder at the personal information you post on your Face book or My Space page. I think that the reason why they are doing that is to make sure they have a nice easy going person. A person who has a personality that don’t go and shot up anybody. Who want something else to go on like what happen at theses other college. They want to know to be on the safe side. Then it say “And they might decide to toss out your application after reading what you wrote about that cool party last week or how you want to conduct your romantic life at college. They should because it makes them look bad and not want people to attend if a high parenting rate is up. That mad you are doing more touching then reading.” Then it say” According to a new report by the National Assn. for College Admission Counseling, about a quarter of U.S. colleges reported doing some research about applicants on social networking sites or through Internet search engines. The study, which included 10 California colleges, did not specify which schools acknowledged the practice or how often scholarships or enrollment offers might be nixed because of online postings.” It is good because people need to understand that this is someone job and cares to tell you no. think about you need to grow up and put away children thing this is not high and they not going to give you a second chance. Then is says “David Hawkins, director of public policy and research for the counselors group, said the moral is clear: "Don't post anything that you don't want your mother or father or college admission officer to see," he said. Well in that answer that Mr. Hawkins said is true. If you leave dirty myspace picture online line they can do that. The internet is free for people who pay for it. So why would you put something like that online. If your friends is putting it online that you have drunk yourself and started throwing up you need to think hard if that is your free or not.
Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use


More than 60 religious leaders in Illinois are calling on state senators this week to pass a bill that would allow patients to use medical marijuana with a doctor's recommendation and without criminal consequences. They should pass that bill and make it wear you have to be an age limited and you have to show your doctor recommendation on the spot. Marijuana should be use for problems not because you are tried but for real problems. Then it says “"Medical marijuana is an issue of mercy and compassion," said Rev. Bill Pyatt of the First United Methodist Church of Carthage .”We pray that the Illinois legislature will have the compassion to stop this war on patients." No if they legalize it make sure that the passion needs it and if they ask for it don’t give it to them. That made they will absents it to make it for a problem that not real and end up ding. I don’t think that the Rev need to cash a check him butt can’t pay. I think it will get out of hand and blow up in his face.
United Airlines to charge obese people double
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp, will require obese passengers bumped from full flights to purchase two seats on a subsequent flight, matching the policy of some other carriers. To me that is not fair. Why would you make a person who is over sized buy to seat win you can make the seats bigger. Then it says "last year we had 700 complaints from passengers who had to share their seats. If it is a high rate of complaints then they need to make a plane for large people. Why make yourself look bad and have more people start using other transportation. You will be out of money and will have to go bankrupt. They need to open there eyes and look at the bigger picture. Learn to look and solve your prblems one foot at a time. Don't make a fool out of yourself.
Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

If you live in Florida, you can get a license plate to display your college pride. You can get one that promotes your pet cause, or roots for your favorite sports team. So why shouldn't you be able to get one that celebrates your religion too? I think that lot of people should be more with that fact they can be proud to have a religion. There shouldn't be a law that says you can't have a License plate to display your religion. Then it said "that's just spin from the anti-Christian crowd who go berserk anytime the word "Jesus" is mentioned in public. I agree with the Christian who say that why not. Do they think it is going to be a out if a Jewish's or Buddha or a Christians because of a license say whether or not what religion they are. I don't think they will go down the street you for the fact that different.
Racial disparities persist in higher-paying jobs
Blacks, Hispanics lag behind whites in largest rates in about a decade

WASHINGTON - Blacks and Hispanics lag behind whites for higher-paying jobs at the largest rates in about a decade as employment opportunities dwindled during the nation’s economic woes and housing slump. They is still some racial people going around and is making jobs very hard. It bad to think that will life on the same planet and we act like one race is better than the other. then is say “The lesson of most economic downturns is minorities are the last hired, first fired. They lose jobs more quickly, and they will be the last to recover,”. That is a not the true if someone with power can fire you they will. That mean you as blacks and Hispanics need to be careful who you talk bad too. the fact is it is still some whites out there who are races.

msuggs7th said...

My opinion to this document is college can be influence by internet. i'll agree to this because some high schools is not conducting your life in college, the enrollment can be a mixed up from high schools and colleges for the scholarships across America. the difference between high school and college is, high school is a next step and prepared for a life and college is a next step to your goal so which one I rather choose? I choose the high school diaploma before I choose a college you can extra smart and you can't get a good job with that college degree now they need to discussed why college scholarships can be a next step for nice wonderful job in the future. well I say like this bush really mess every thang up for jobs, scholarships, and every thang it may have and think about obama may put it like scholarships may put you in good job they really need to discussed about this document is why college website snooping on the internet.

M.Bryant 7th said...

In my opinion,i dont really think that colleges should base whatever they see on these social websites to determine if kids can get admission to there college. jus because they seen john doe drinking or smoking on a picture dosen't mean he dumb or nothing he could be the brightest there is so not i don't think colleges shouldn't base that on letting kids into college.

M.Bryant 7th said...

my opinion,i think that they should leagalize weed cause it help people whit there conditions.for example,Several studies suggest that weed can mitigate nausea, pain and anxiety for patients with illnesses such as HIV, cancer, multiple sclerosis and chronic pain. Theological arguments are based on these findings.But i think it do cause my grandma smokes weed for her eyes and really does works cause she dosen't have this little grey thing over her puepil.so i would leagalize weed.

M.Bryant 7th said...

Im glad that they finally did this because i have had this issue with obesed passengers plenty times before.i remember it like it was yesterday i was on my way to florida it was so uncomfortable cause you don't have that much arm and leg room already.then by having a obesed person sitting next to you makes you feel like you in a suitcase.so im all for it!!!

marshee hayes said...

Marshee Hayes
English 11
May 7,2009





Some Colleges Checking Out Applications
Social Network Posting



In, my opinion I believe that it’s okay for them to do that cause you really shouldn’t have

anything on internet that you don’t want everybody to see. When you think about it

whatever you put on there its made for anybody and everybody to see its. Younger people

think that’s its cool to talk about everything that they do on myspace and facebook. But

colleges really can go by one thing that a person say on there their page Cause that could

be a first in last or they really could be lying about the things they say. Like you see a lot

of teen agers that say they have all this money in the bank. But half of them don’t even

have a bank account. But, they say these things because they hear a lot of rappers say

these things. Colleges should just toss out their application because they really don’t

know that person until they have been to their college or talked to them in a personal

way. If you think about it this is like judging a book by it cover. You really don’t know

this person but from what you see their not a good person. What you post really doesn’t

describe who you are?









Marshee Hayes
English 11
May 7, 2009
5th Period




Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use


This article is about making marijuana a medical. This Law is really making it easier for

people to get marijuana. All they have to do is say something’s hurting on them then they

can get marijuana. With this law there will be a lot of drug addicts because it will be easy

for them to get it. I think that all the people that want this law to pass are the mane people

that do this drug. In my opinion I believe that the doctors are doing just fine

without this drug. We already have enough people doing the drug. Why make it easier for

them. So you see this will only making the world worst. It may help those who are sick.

But its going to increase the rate of addiction and more people having it. How? Because

when you make it easier and Doctors are giving it to them. Their going to take it that one

time in its going to make them feel good then their going to want more in more. As rev

Al. said JESUS lived his life to healing those where he could. Some people are not going

to believe in using this type of medication. What are they going to do when this problem

come up that cant just not treat this person just because they don’t want to use that type of

medication.







Marshee Hayes
English11
May 8, 2009
5th period




United Airlines to charge obese
2 seats for full flights



While with this article I believe that they should make away for them to be on the plane I

not have to buy another ticket. Don’t they think that make them feel bad about their size.

Its not their fault that their mom blessed them with a little more butt then others. They

cant help it if they grow up in all they knew was to eat all the time. In I feel its not fair

that they have to buy another ticket just because they cant fit in a normal size seat. I don’t

care what size you are you shouldn’t have to do that because we all should be treated

equal. In if a little person has to pay 130 for a ticket then a bigger person should be able

to pay he same. We all are not the same so really cant make everything the same that’s

why I think they should make a area just for those people who have a little bit more

others. Just like they make a different in where we seat 1st class or 2nd class. They should

try to make a area with longer seat instead of making them buy another seat cause just

like the other their getting on the same planes ingoing to the same places. So why should

they pay more if their doing the same thing as the others. It’s just not fair in I really think

they should do something about it.

Anonymous said...

LEGALIZING MARIJUANA!!!!
I think they should legalize marijuana because to me its just something that helps you with your problems and it really calms you down I haven’t tried it but I have notice by some of my kinfolks it really calms you down a whole lot and they seem to think that their vision is better than it was before they started I think that it was help the violence in the world the crime and everything because when you calm you are more relaxed than you will ever be marijuana comes in handy it have you feeling some good from what I hear and see so if they legalize it more people would be less violent and disrespectful that’s my opinion I hope they do legalize weed its only fair it wouldn’t make a difference if they didn’t because people are still going to sell it and people are still going to buy it in my eyes so why not legalize it.
United Airlines to charge obese people double
I think they shouldn’t charge obese people double seats on a airplane because it make them feel bad, it lowers their self esteem and its wrong because they have to go through life with people looking at them differently because they are a little over weight I don’t understand why anyone would treat a person like that its not right I feel big people should have their own section on the airplane instead of making them pay for too seats to go to one place I’m healthy myself and I wish anyone of them people charge me for too seats and I’m going one place I’m going to cause all types of hell in that airport but back to the issue that’s wrong if you do that it shows favoritism charging obese for double seats make it feel like being obese is wrong that’s my opinion on people charging obese people. Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate.
I think that some people are offended by the type of religion that people outside their religion are like there are different religions like Muslims, catholic, cogic, Baptist, Methodist, and so on everybody should be able to express their spiritual religions they should be able to worship their own god without being discriminated against I would approve of this because its not wrong to have a different religion everybody isn’t the same and don’t believe in the same things so whatever you are religiously you shouldn’t be ashamed and get treated different because you have a different belief its real stupid to do that.
Some colleges checking out applicants' social networking posts.
i think that its wrong then again I think its right because it is an invasion of privacy but you can only want the best for your college students and that’s not cool but looking at my myspace and facebook don’t mean im a bad person.
ANDRANEKIA ABRAM

Anonymous said...

JaJa Davis 7th period


ARTICLE#1

In my opinion i think that colleges checking out applicants' social networking postings is very rude. I say this because these profiles is their personal lives and that it has nothing to do with the colleges that they want to attend. Any social network posting are not to find a job or a good college to attend. So colleges shouldnt get mad if they come across Romantic coversations on social pages,or parties and clubs. Im sure that the administrators have a social page of their own with something very personal on there. I mean who doesn't have a personal life? I believe it should be okay if anyone has a myspace page or any other type of social page,or social websites are not made for colleges to review over them for administrators to judge on what type of person that someone is. Everyone should be able to feel comfortable on their social websites. What fun can you have out of being on a social website if you cant put what you want and say what you feel? If a colleges see's a person with a lamp on his or her head, standing on a beer keg they shouldn't based that on what type of person they are. That just means that they also just has a fun side to them. That doesn't mean that they are dumb and can't be professional when they have to. I'm sure plenty of professional people that even work in colleges and professors party and have a good time when they want to.Come on now, let's be honest everyones human. I know on my social website page I'm having a good time on there with my friends and family. But if that is something that we must correct in order to be in college so be it. Im going to do whatever I have to in order to go to a good college.


ARTICLE#2

Marijuana should be used only for medical uses only. Many people in the world are sick and need marijuana for the cure. I also know that many people use marijuana just to get a high. This really is a public health issue. They should not stop the issue on using marijuana on sick patients who tend to really need. What if a patients life is on the line? Are they going to let the patient suffer and die? No they should'nt, that's very wrong. If marijuana can help cure nausea, pain and anxiety for patients then all hospitals around the world should allow patients to use marijuana only for medical reasons. I understand that we do have some people who will fib and say that they are extremely sick and painful like they really need marijuana. In my opinion for the over exaggerating patients, the doctors should examine them and make sure that they are very sick like they claim that they are. I hope that the dominations that support medical marijuana pass. I believe it's a very good idea for the Department of Public Health to give registry identification cards to people with doctors' recommendations for cannabis. By during it that way it would stop many people who claiming that they need marijuana and who's telling a fib to not be able to get it or recieve the card. In my opinion over all I think that marijuana should'nt be used unless it's a serious medical situation occurs.



ARTICLE#3

Oh my god, are you serious? Having obesed people paying double is very wrong! I understand that they are obese, but they still are considered one human being. They should'nt have to pay for two seats, if anything the airlines should be helpful and recommend two seats for the obese passengers. I feel like if they're paying for one ticket and they are obese, why not just offer another out of curiosity? I don't care if the airlines are full I still believe that they should'nt have to pay for two at all. How would the skinny people feel if they were obese and had to pay for two airline tickets? Im pretty sure they would not like that at all. That can cause alot of airlines to lose buisness also. If an obese person hears that they have to pay for two seats on an airline they would most likely walk away. That's very embarrasing, you have to look at it from their point of view and put yourself in their position. If that was you walking up into the airlines and ask for a ticket and the airline employee says, "You have to pay for two sir because of your weight." That can be very harsh toward that person and make them gain very low self-esteem. All of this just shows you how people will do anything to make more money. Before the airlines consider doing this they should think about the hurt feelings to the obese people and all of the buissness that it will cause them to lose.


ARTICLE #4

In my opinion i feel like everyone does have their own freedom of speech, and can say whatever that they want to say, and express whatever that they feel. Having religious license plates on the back of your car is fine to me. I don't see anything wrong with that picture at all. I mean everyone else expresses their favorite football,baseball or basketball team, so why not express your religion? I find that better than any football,baseball or basketball team.

Anonymous said...

Michelle Ellison
5th period

The article has a good point. It talks about what people put on there MySpace and etcetera. They think that people should not put things on the internet that they wouldn’t want important people to see. It might change the way of people look at u. I think that they are right. I think there right because people can lie and put anything on an application. But if you go on there MySpace or face book, you will see the truth about them. People like to express her on the internet. So when people have things on the Internet that they wound want there parents to see. That’s not a good thing at all. People don’t pay attention to these kinds of things. But sooner or later they will. It would be so upsetting if you had a perfect application for a college but a disappointing internet reputation.

article 2

This article talks about making marijuana legal, but only for medical causes. They think that the drug should not be a crime since it can heal people. In my opinion I think that it’s a very bad idea. It’s good that it can help people, but making it legal isn’t the best idea. If people knew that a drug can cure them, then they wound have no problem with buying it. If it was legal everyone would be everywhere doing it. In some cases it can be very dangerous. I think they should just tell people that it can cure you. But I don’t think they should make it legal. How do the doctors know they will only be using it for there health. They could be doing anything with those drugs. Since its legal they wouldn’t think they are doing anything wrong. But that’s my opinion on that.

article 3

This article talks about obese people, they think that obese people should buy two seats. They say this because they have had lots of complaints from other passengers. Well I think they are right to. But to solve this problem, I think they should make a section for all the obese people. So they wouldn’t have to pay more money. It really isn’t fair that they have to pay more just because they are obese. If they had a section for those people, then there would be no complaints. Safety is a big deal on air planes. I don’t think that a big person sitting next t a little person is a good idea. I say that because people complain about there seatbelt when that happens.

article 4

This article talks about religious license plates. They think that if people could get anything else on there plates, then why not get a religious plate. This article seems right; I think that’s a great idea. People should be able to put what they want on there plates, especially there religion. When you are driving you always see a sports team or something about there religion. You barley see anything about peoples religion don’t think people should tell other people that they can’t put there religion on there license plates. It wouldn’t start no trouble or cause any damage. It’s just like when people put there favorite football or basketball team on it. Peolple always say that there religion always comes first, so why not express that. A sports team or anything else isn’t more important than a religion. I don’t think that there even should of been an argument on that.

article 5

This article talks about racial disparities in higher paying jobs. The article says that whites used to get paid more money than blacks and Hispanics. I don’t think that was right. Racist is a very mean thing to be. When it comes to working and getting paid, people all should gat treated the same. When people try to get jobs at different stores, we should all be treated equal. Some jobs will not hire you just because of your skin color. They think that since your that color they will expect you to mess up or do something wrong. That isn’t right; people shouldn’t judge a book but its cover. Being raciest was a big thing back then and I still think it was wrong. Till this day some people are still raciest.

Anonymous said...

Quintessa R. Powell
May 11, 2009
5th period
English III
Article # 5
Racial disparitiespersist in
higher-paying jobs

I really feel that this is an interesting topic to respond to. The reason why is because it really talks about an everyday life issue. I always find myself wondering why my race as well as the Hispanics get the short end of the stick. It’s like every other race can get a high paying job but Blacks and Hispanics. In some sort of way, I feel that it’s very unfair. In another sort of way, I can see why they don’t get high end jobs. There are some good Blacks and Hispanics out there as well as some bad ones. The reason that I say that is because some Blacks and Hispanics are worthy of high end jobs and some of them cause trouble everyday. I think that they don’t get such high end jobs because they are the ones that appear on the news the most. It’s like so much negativity is exposed from the two races. I also don’t think it’s fair to give all the other races high paying jobs because of the money. Blacks and Hispanics need money just like other people need it to live . I just think that everyone needs to be treated equal because this is an act of discrimination.

Anonymous said...

Andranekia Abram
5th period

Some colleges checking out applicants' social networking posts

I agree with the article people should not post inappropriate information or pictures on MySpace or face book. They wouldn’t want important people seeing all of those inappropriate things about you and it would make them look at you differently. I think that they are right on this topic you shouldn’t post private issues on yourself if you don’t want anyone to find out about it. That’s how I feel about it. If you apply for some the best thing I would do is delete everything you have off the internet. People don’t pay attention to things like that. You would be so mad if you had the best application for a college but a disappointing internet reputation. That’s a shame I would delete everything.

j.journey7th said...

6th Six Week Current Events

Article1

Some colleges checking out applicants' social networking posts

I think that the social networking people are right about not posting things on your face book, or MySpace that you wouldn’t want your mother or father to see. I think that colleges should be able to go and find out what kind of people they are want to have at their school. I don’t think that no school wants to give a prestigious scholarship to someone standing on a beer keg and wearing a lampshade." I think that colleges are to know what type of student they want at their school. In this article it says that there are over a 100,000 application this year and they don’t even have an enough time to do all of the back ground information. So in that case I think that social networking needs to start all of the back ground checking next year.

Article 2
Medical marijuana: Religious leaders ask Illinois lawmakers to allow medical marijuana use

I think that lawmakers in Illinois should make marijuana legal, because it can be use to help people see well. I don’t think that marijuana is a bad drug because it can help you; but it can also hurt you. I think that lawmakers should make marijuana legal because it can help our country a lot. This product will bring in billions of dollars in taxes. It can help people relax more, and it gets lots of stress off an individual. Marijuana can mitigate nausea, pain and anxiety for patients with illnesses such as HIV, cancer, multiple sclerosis and chronic pain. I think using this product well also stop so much drug sales in the streets. It will stop so many people from going to jail. It will lower our crime rate.

Article 3
United Airlines to charge obese people double
I think that obese people should have to pay for and extra seat on the airplane if they are too big for were the next person beside them are not comfortable. But I don’t think that it’s fair to bump people from their original flight just because the plane was full and that he/she was too big. I think that people should start making the planes more spacious because it dose it only make obese people mad it hurts their feelings too. I think that if you are going to ride an airplane you should ride first class if they don’t want to pay for two seats they can just pat for one and they will then have enough room to move and be comfortable. In my opinion airlines are to have space for obese people.
Article 4
Censorship at the root of religious license plate debate

In my opinion in think that people should be able to have religious license plates, because some people are proud of what religion their in, and I think that they can express their self or tell the world what they are proud to be. I think that if you can put words like “we crazy” I think that you can be able to put your words of peace on it. I think that even though have different things they believe in don’t mean they can’t put it on their car. I think that if people are able to put all kind of bad words on their car I think that it’s ok for people in Florida should be to put good words on their license plate.

Article 5
Blacks, Hispanics lag behind whites in largest rates in about a decade

I think that black and Hispanics lag be hide whites because we are the most UN educated. I think some blacks don’t apply for higher paid jobs because they don’t think they will get it because they are not educated enough. I think that Hispanics should be getting paid more if they can speak both language, English and Spanish.

jeremiah joyner2nd said...

Article#1
Most people post some of the craziest things on MySpace and Face book. I feel they post those crazy things on there just to get there name out like they are cool or something but it do not matter what people think of you long as you feel good about yourself that’s how I feel about it. MySpace and Face book is just a site where teens talk about each other but I do not worry what people say about me so I do not care about them old sites because it’s a waste of time and a person life.
Article#2
I feel weed is not bad for a person because help build your red blood cell and keep you from getting cancer. Another reason why weed is good for you is that weed is a plant and a plant is not a drug. doctors provide people with weed every day out of the week so how is it bad for you tell me that ,and a another thing is I know a lot of people who smoke weed every day and they get good grades like so it cannot be bad.
Article#3
I feel that if a obese person need two air lines seat they should get it because they may not want there body fat on other people while taking or even on there way to where they are trying to get were they are going or even trying to get back to . So if a fat person need two seats give it too them so it can not be no problems.

jeremiah joyner2nd said...

Article#1
Most people post some of the craziest things on MySpace and Face book. I feel they post those crazy things on there just to get there name out like they are cool or something but it do not matter what people think of you long as you feel good about yourself that’s how I feel about it. MySpace and Face book is just a site where teens talk about each other but I do not worry what people say about me so I do not care about them old sites because it’s a waste of time and a person life.
Article#2
I feel weed is not bad for a person because help build your red blood cell and keep you from getting cancer. Another reason why weed is good for you is that weed is a plant and a plant is not a drug. doctors provide people with weed every day out of the week so how is it bad for you tell me that ,and a another thing is I know a lot of people who smoke weed every day and they get good grades like so it cannot be bad.
Article#3
I feel that if a obese person need two air lines seat they should get it because they may not want there body fat on other people while taking or even on there way to where they are trying to get were they are going or even trying to get back to . So if a fat person need two seats give it too them so it can not be no problems.

Kris Miles 7th period said...

#1
This is a very important matter and it should be approached as so. the youth of these days love to have fun and this is a known fact. However, sometimes you have to watch what you say and do and post on the internet. Colleges now, especially prestigious colleges, want a student who will do right not only when someone is watching but most importantly, when they are not being monitored or think they're not being monitored. They want a student who is about business and is going to college to learn, not just to party. Believe it or not, most students do go to college to party. In closing, it's ok to have fun and live your life. Although, all of your pictures, blogs, videos, and headlines should be decent. You shouldn't put any images that you know you wouldn't want your mother or father to see.

#2
Marijuana has many purposes and is used for several things. However, in most cases, it has been used for illegal uses. Now law-makers and Illinois state senators are working to pass a bill that will legalize marijuana. Although it has a good purpose, there are also some bad effects to this proposal. Since marijuana will be legalized, some people will try to get away with smoking it in public even without being told to by a doctor. This most likely will cause chaos within the city of Illinois because people who haven't been properly prescribed this drug will be walking around smoking it also. This will cause plenty confusion in the state of Illinois.

#3
Believe it or not, this is really a big issue even though it may not seem as so. while on a plane for several hours, passengers want nothing but the utmost comfort. If someone pays for a seat, they don't want to have to share the seat they paid for with someone else. This could cause many complaints with the airlines and really make the airlines look bad. Yes, obese passengers should have to buy two seats simply so the other passengers can ride in comfort and so can they. It might seem sort of harsh making obese passengers but two different tickets but what other choice do you have?

#4
This matter is a very sensitive one that really hits home. It's one thing to talk about something dealing with sororities,fraternities,colleges,or maybe even a license plate with your child's school on it. However, when you show something dealing with religion, someone is always going to have something to say about it point blank. Yes, i do believe that everyone should be able to show their religion and represent it to the fullest. I really don't see why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. The world we live in is very cruel. That's why certain religions don't get the respect they should all because thay are different and this is a case of stereotype. Everybody should be treated the same and everyone should be able to represent what they want to represent.

#5
All americans should be treated equally and are no better than the other one. However, some companies are paying the whites more than they are paying the blacks and hispanics. It would be a totally different case if the whites where doing a better job and getting paid more. In that case, there would be no argument. But this time, that's not the case. The way i see it, if two people are doing the exact same job with the exact same potential, they should have equal pay. a person should not get paid more than another person simply because of the color of their skin. This is complete racism in it's entirety. There's really no other way to put it. Blacks and hispanics have families that they have to take care of also. Therefore, they should get paid the amount of money that they have labored for.

Kris Miles 7th Period

D.Stevensom 7th period said...

1
I think this a good idea because, if colleges wants to see what kind of person are you they just look up your myspace or facebook. I hope they don't have any crazy stuff on the internet but its kind of crazy strangers breaking your password lokking up your information and personal at that.
2
I think they should because it wouldn't be fair to just legalized in one or two states. If its up to me I'll legalized it all the state.Marijuana shops everywhere in united states because, our country is in great depression right now, less marijuana bustes,and less trouble for people got with marijuana.
3
Ithink that its distrimate to obese people because, it go to hard for them to pay for their united airlines ticket. If they pay double they should get that own seat. I think its not right then again this right because what the obese person sits down in the seat and a skinney person sit down beside him. They probably uncomfortable sitting in these seat.
4
I think why not celebrate your religion. People go by their own religion everyday. Of course, you can celebrate your religion . You can get a license plate of your religion , but it might cost more because could cause alot of comotion in the long run because, its so much hate crime in the today.

R.Calhoun7th said...

Article#1
Wow! Here’s one article that really had my attention! On this issue I feel that colleges should not go by what they see on a website, such as myspace facebook about a student or upcoming student simply because it doesn’t detail the character of the student. You can only go by what you see. I say this because I own a myspace account and have plenty of friends that has and my space account. I will admit to saying yeah we put pictures on the website of us having fun, but I mean who said having a good time was a bad thing? You can’t judge anyone off that night. They could be smart, intelligent, young people, and you just denied someone’s application because of that picture or words. Yeah I do agree on not posting anything you would want your parents to see, but you have to look at this way some people parents may not care what they put over the Internet or probably doesn’t even know. In Today’s society I think this would affect in a major way. People that attend universities will start deleting their account. I feel like what’s on myspace or any website shouldn’t have anything to do with school as long as it’s not starting violence, and you’re not getting your lesson done. So what is there to be said?

Article#2
Here’s one article that will kind of have your mind wondering! On this issue I strongly agree on them passing a law that states people, well sick people to use marijuana. It ‘s not that I smoke marijuana or anything on that nature. Its just I feel like people with HIV, and cancer already suffering enough. Why not give it to them under the condition of a doctor’s prescription? Many other minds are thinking ok people smoke marijuana on a daily basic, they don’t have any health issue why not pass a bill that allow patients to use it? Its like this either way it goes people are going to find a to smoke it health problems or none! My concern on this issue is I wonder could you get around the fact of not having any health issues and still get a prescription for marijuana? Some probably would try to copyright the prescription, but you never know people come up with the craziest idea. I think that this issue could affect today’s society by people trying to get off by just smoking marijuana just because of the fact. I still strongly agree on the issue of passing this bill. I think if they do pass this bill in today’s society many people would be happy, but it’s not like the are legalizing anybody to just smoke it. It’s certain procedures you have to undergo to get the marijuana, and then you would have to have a health issue or problem.


Article#3
In this article I kind found it devastating to obese people. I felt like that because it’s not their fault that they are obese so why make them pay for another seat it none are available on that flight? I feel like that’s just another way to make money off of people for nothing. Could you imagine the humiliation an obese person going threw of a flight attendant telling them that they would have to catch another flight with two seats? I would be highly mad if anyone of that nature told me that. I feel like this you mite as well say I’m too big to ride a plane. I feel that this issue is going to affect today’s society because many people or obese people are going to want to stop flying on a plane because of this issue. I feel like this they are trying to get around things in a nice way by saying if the plane is not full, then you could have your two seats, but if it is then you will have to catch a next flight; and buy a second ticket. I feel like this you should make sure you have enough seats for all the passengers, before they even aboard the plane.



Article#4
Religious License plate what’s next? People come up with the craziest idea. On this issue I do agree that they should let you display your religious beliefs. I think that you should be able to display what you believe in. I don’t think that it’s a bad idea. Me being myself I believe in Christianity. It’s plenty of people that drive around were I’m from, which being Memphis, Tennessee that drive around with religious beliefs tags. I don’t see anything wrong with it. I feel like you’re expressing yourself in a religious way. I don’t see anyone doing harm to you just because you have a religious license plate. It’s a unique way to express yourself besides going to church or whatever you may call it. I think this issue affects today’s society because many people wants to express their selves and feel like they can’t do it because of the U.S. Constitution. What could they possibly think would happen if people drove around with religious license plate? I honestly think people wouldn’t care what you had on your license plate. When you think about it, it’s just a license plate; what could happen? I do feel like people should be able to get whatever they want or their license plate as long as it’s not disrespectful, then why not get what you want?



Article#5
Racial disparities persist in higher paying jobs? What is the world really coming to? Are they saying that if I’m black I wont get paid that much or if I’m white I’ll get paid more. In today’s economy I didn’t think that we still had to deal with the Racist issue. I feel like it ashamed that we still have to go threw this type of thing. What all our country has been threw the racial issue is still there. Shouldn’t everyone get paid equally? I feel like it shouldn’t matter rather you’re white, African American, Hispanic, purple, or green we all should get paid the same unless we’re in a higher position than that person. I mean what’s up with the rates? I mean the rates are high because of white people, so they say. It’s seemed like to me what they are saying we’re not minorities, so we just get what it is left. I feel like that is unfair, well it’s not so much of feeling like its unfair, it is. As I kept reading in this article I put to notice that they have to deal with discrimination complaints. Do people not know that they could get sued for things like this? I’m guessing they don’t care or really haven’t even thought about the issue. I think many should take that inconsideration.